Stop by the Library today to submit your response to the 2020 Census.
Today the U.S. Census Bureau begins its constitutionally mandated decennial—recurring every 10 years—task of counting every person living in the United States.
The importance of a fair and accurate count to our democracy cannot be overstated. Among other things, Census data are used to:
- Determine the number of congressional seats each state gets, and district lines that define state legislatures, city councils, and school boards.
- Decide how to distribute $800 billion to states and localities for education, housing, health programs, transportation, highways, and other important services.
- Help businesses make important marketing and investment decisions.
- Assist civil rights and advocacy groups to support social and economic disparities.
- Support researchers and demographers to analyze and explain the impact of our country’s changing demographics.